Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

bedrock layer

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi,

I'm wondering about the definition of the bedrock layer, for example, if col%nbedrock(c) = 10, does that mean the bedrock layer starts from 10 or next layer 11 is the bedrock?

Best,

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi,

I'm wondering about the definition of the bedrock layer, for example, if col%nbedrock(c) = 10, does that mean the bedrock layer starts from 10 or next layer 11 is the bedrock?

Best,
An unrelated question here, I found loops in CLM start with the outer loop of depths, and than the inner loop is the column loop. If I reverse the loop order, could that cause trouble for the model?

Best,

Jinmu

slevis

An unrelated question here, I found loops in CLM start with the outer loop of depths, and than the inner loop is the column loop. If I reverse the loop order, could that cause trouble for the model?

Best,

Jinmu
I generally advise users to try what they have in mind and confirm for themselves. The worst that I would expect is a model crash. More likely, I would expect a change in answers, at the very least due to the change in order of operations. You as the scientist should assess whether the code is still scientifically correct.

Regarding the first question, I typed "git grep nbedrock" in my ctsm directory and found the following possibly useful documentation in the code:

nbedrock => col%nbedrock, & ! Input: [real(r8) (:,:) ] depth to bedrock (m)