Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

BgcCrop vs. Fates

Min-Seok Kim

Min-Seok Kim
Hi,
I would like to study the effect of vegetation change on climate using CESM2 (CLM5).
And I'm wondering about the difference between I2000Clm50BgcCrop and I2000Clm50BgcDvCrop and I2000Clm50Fates.
I think all of them can simulate the vegetation changes, is that right?
And if I want to see the changes of leaf area index and its climatic impact, which compset will be proper?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

slevis

- BgcCrop uses prescribed pft and crop biogeography; it simulates the LAI, as well as the carbon and nitrogen cycles.
- FATES uses prescribed pft biogeography I think, though you should confirm that; it simulates LAI and complex plant demography processes; I think it is carbon-only, though you should check that; it does not run with crops.
- BgcDvCrop is like BgcCrop but with the old dynamic vegetation model (dgvm), which has not been supported for several years and may or may not work. If you got it to work, then this would use interactive pft biogeography.

To learn more about these models, please read the clm5 documentation as well as the numerous papers in the literature that describe experiments using these models.