Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Budgets and Instantaneous values

What version of the code are you using?
release-cesm2.1.5
Running on UK Archer2 super-computer

Describe your problem or question:
I am trying to get instantaneous values of DIC and DOC out of the CESM2 POP model, so I can compute Carbon budgets. I have modified ocn.ecosys.tavg.csh to that the original daily (high frequency) diagnostics are monthly averages and the monthly averages (medium frequency) diagnostics are annual averages. After looking at various bits of documentation, I decided to do this via creating my own ecosys_diagnostics file in SourceMods/src.pop. (I also tried turning on the history snapshots and adding DIC and DOC to the snapshot diagnostics but that failed presumably because those variables are not in the standard snapshot code). I modified "DIC : medium_average" to "DIC : medium_average, high_instantaneous" which should give, in my monthly files, instantaneous values of DIC but when I run I get an error fairly early in the run. The error is:
Requested DIC_2
------------------------------------------------------------------------

POP aborting...
FATAL ERROR: requested field unknown

I've tried changing high_instantaneous to high_average and get the same error.

So -- how do I get instantaneous values of ecosystem variables out of CESM?

Simon
p.s Documentation on getting diagnostics out of POP is very hard work to understand and use. Hopefully, MOM6 as a model will be better documented.