Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

build-namelist -namelist option does not work for me

I am running CAM3.5.32.

The option -namelist "&camexp nelapse=-32 /" does not work for me.

(Am I using the right quotes?)

Here is my command:

[drosa@n0004 ~]$ /global/home/users/drosa/ccp-ucb_wcopy/models/atm/cam/bld/build-namelist -dir /global/home/users/drosa/run -case test-lbl -config /global/home/users/drosa/tmp/config_cache.xml -csmdata /global/home/users/drosa/data -namelist "&camexp nelapse=-32 /"
build-namelist - ERROR: Invalid namelist variable in commandline arg '-namelist'.
ERROR: in _validate_pair (package Build::NamelistDefinition): Variable name nelapse not found in /global/home/users/drosa/ccp-ucb_wcopy/models/atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition.xml

Without the "/" the script does not break down:

[drosa@n0004 ~]$ /global/home/users/drosa/ccp-ucb_wcopy/models/atm/cam/bld/build-namelist -dir /global/home/users/drosa/run -case test-lbl -config /global/home/users/drosa/tmp/config_cache.xml -csmdata /global/home/users/drosa/data -namelist "&camexp nelapse=-32"
Writing CAM namelist to /global/home/users/drosa/run/atm_in
Writing CLM namelist to /global/home/users/drosa/run/lnd_in
Writing driver namelist to /global/home/users/drosa/run/drv_in
Writing ocean component namelist to /global/home/users/drosa/run/ocn_in
Writing sea ice component namelist to /global/home/users/drosa/run/ice_in

but there is not "nelapse" define in /global/home/users/drosa/run/drv_in

[drosa@n0004 ~]$ cat /global/home/users/drosa/run/drv_in
&ccsm_inparm
case_name = 'test-lbl'
start_type = 'startup'
/
&timemgr_inparm
atm_cpl_dt = 1800
orb_iyear_ad = 1990
restart_option = 'monthly'
start_ymd = 901
stop_n = 1
stop_option = 'ndays'
/
&prof_inparm
/

Alternatively, how do I put the -namelist option in a infile?
[drosa@n0004 ~]$ cat infile-namelist
-namelist "&camexp nelapse=-32 /"

Thanks
Daniele

I figured that instead of using the userguide it's better to look directly in the file:

/models/atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition.xml

to know what build-namelist can take as input parameters