Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM build-namelist error

tylerh

Tyler Harrington
Hi,

I have added several namelist variables in the "user_nl_cam" file and keep getting the same error message (attached) when I try to run "./cesm.setup". I originally thought maybe my formatting was messed up in the user_nl_cam file, but everything works properly if I remove the last two variables in the file. Is there a way to change what the array size is allowed to be?

Image 5-18-20 at 8.22 PM.jpg

Thanks!

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Based on your directory name, it looks like you're running iCESM (isotope-enabled CESM). Is that correct? I'm going to move this to the Paleoclimate forums, since that is the group that is supporting iCESM.

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Tyler,

How many total water tracers do you have? If you are using iCESM1.2, then there is currently a hard-coded limit of 700 different water tracers (which translates to 100 unique water tags). To fix this, simply modify the variable:

WTRC_MAX_CNST

in this file:

<iCESM1.2_dir>/models/atm/cam/src/physics/cam/water_tracer_vars.F90

As well as modify the type="char*X(700)" attribute for all the wtrc_* variables here:

<iCESM1.2_dir>/models/atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition.xml

And increase the "700" number to whatever is needed (i.e. total unique water tags * 7). If by chance you are using a later version of iCESM and/or iCAM then you should only need to modify the namelist_definition.xml file, as WTRC_MAX_CNSTwill be set automatically.

If after doing this you still run into any problems or issues just let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse