Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM input and boundary data sets

Hi,

I am using CAM3 for my research purpose in my PhD. I have successfully installed model and i have run some basic test experiment with initial data set provided by NCAR web site. I want to do more analysis and need more data set for many year. From where I can download that data. Also for making my own initial condition, can you guide me which variables are necessary.

Regards
Siraj

PhD student
Environmental Science and Engineering,
University of Northern British Columbia,
3333 University way, Prince George, BC, V2N 4Z9, Canada
Cell: 1- (250) 981 3370
Tel: 1- (250) 960 5293

I have downloaded all these data and I need data for more years so in that case did I need to generate data by restart run of the model after initial run with the datasets from the CAM webpage?..

Thanks in advance
Soumik Basu

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.
If are trying to set a 20-year run for instance, it is correct that you can start form the initial condition and then do restarts,

Hi,

I am using a daily sst file with 730 days data starting from 2006. So it is making the initial run correctly but when I am doing restart run it is stopping at the 12th month and says it cannot find data for 20081201. If I use the sst data for 1949-2001 and if I define the start_ymd=20010101 and stop_ymd=20020101 it is giving me error like missing data for 20011130. My intention was to generate monthly data for each year for the next 20 years by restart run after the initial run.

Thanks,
Soumik

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
CAM uses prescribed SSTs. You cannot create new SST datasets with CAM (SST is an input and not an output).