Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM tracer

I heard that CAM has passive tracer capability. How to turn it on and how to put a tracer in the model? Does the tracer result also write in output netcdf file?

How does the tracer work in the model? I want to determine the transport pathway and flux of water vapor. Would it be ok by using the tracer function?

Thank you

pjr

orion said:
I heard that CAM has passive tracer capability. How to turn it on and how to put a tracer in the model? Does the tracer result also write in output netcdf file?

How does the tracer work in the model? I want to determine the transport pathway and flux of water vapor. Would it be ok by using the tracer function?

Thank you

You have posted this message to the CCSM forum rather than the CAM forum.

First thing to say is that because it is significantly more complex, and expensive to run the whole coupled model, you might want to get this going first in CAM.

Second thing to say is that unfortunately, the build procedure for CCSM is different from CAM, and I cant give you advice on the procedure for adding tracers to CCSM, but it should be pretty trivial.

Third thing is to tell you how to do what you want with CAM. You will need to do the following:
1) add an argument to the "configure" step of the build identifying the number of tracers you wish to include in the model. Remember that there are 3 tracers in the default configuration (water vapor, liquid condensate, and ice condensate), so you want to add more beyond those three.

2) go into the model code and build a module that treats the physics processes, initialization, etc, in a fashion that is meaningful for your problem. A good place to start is to look at the modules called
tracers.F90, and constituents.F90 (and maybe "test_tracers.F90). These modules are the ones responsible for adding a test suite of tracers.

Good luck!

Phil