Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM4 single column mode - GABLS

I am running CAM4 as a standalone model, part of the CCSM4.0, in a single column mode.

I have adapted the available PBS script for a Cray machine, run-cray.csh, to the local CRAYXT4 machine (hexagon), and configured the CAM4 model into a single column mode. The model is running with the available forcing IOP file, arm0795v1.2.nc, and also with a home made IOP file based on SHEBA data.

Now I am trying to set up the theoretical GABLS test (www.gabls.org), where the model is forced with a constant geostrophic wind and a decreasing surface temperature. When I set all advection fields and the vertical velocities to zero in the IOP file (large scale forcing), and initialize with a constant 8 m/s wind at all vertical levels, no boundary layer is developing, i.e. all horizontal velocities are equal to the initialized velocities during a 9 h model time!

a) How do I force the model with a geostrophic wind in the SCM mode?
b) Why doesn't the physics in the model adjust the wind speed in the boundary layer?

Configuration:

/configure -dyn eul -hgrid 48x96 -nlev 30 -scam -nospmd -nosmp -v -test -cam_exe scam

Namelist (where runtype = startup, startymd = 19000101, starttod = 0, stop_n = 3240):

/build-namelist -v -case $case -runtype $runtype -test -ignore_ic_date
-namelist "&camexp start_ymd=$startymd start_tod=$starttod stop_option='nsteps' stop_n=$stop_n
/ &scam scmlat=76 scmlon=194 / &cam_inparm iopfile='/work/bergh/inputdata/gabls_iop_2.nc'
/ &cam_imparm ncdata='/work/bergh/inputdata/cami_0000-09-01_64x128_L30_c031210_gabls_new.nc'
/ &dom_inparm bndtvs='/work/bergh/inputdata/sst_HadOIBl_bc_48x96_clim_c050526.nc'
/ &dom_inparm focndomain='/work/bergh/inputdata/domain.camocn.48x96_gx3v7_100114.nc'
/ &cam_inparm avgflag_pertape = 'A' , 'I'
/ &cam_inparm nhtfrq = 0 , 1
/ &cam_inparm mfilt = 1 , 3240
/ &cam_inparm scm_iop_srf_prop = .true.
/ &cam_inparm dtime = 10
/ &cam_inparm fincl2 = 'PBLH','TAUX','TAUY','U','V','OMEGA','OMEGAT','T','Q','Z3','TKE','TS','PS','LHFLX','SHFLX','DIVU','DIVV','DIVT','DIVQ','USTAR' /"
-config $blddir/config_cache.xml

Please tell me if more information is needed!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards,
Jon