Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM5 coupled to SOM in Radiative Convective Equilibrium Setting

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a simulation with CAM5 coupled to a slab ocean in RCE setting.

I'm using QSC5 compset in cesm2_1_2 with resolution of f09_f09_mg17.

To run a preindustrial like RCE simulation following Popke et al. (2013), I've made changes on the CAM namelist:
omega=0
seasalt_emis_scale = 0.0
ch4vmr = 650.0e-9
co2vmr = 278.0e-6
f11vmr = 0.0
f12vmr = 0.0
flbc_list = ' '
n2ovmr = 270.0e-9

I also set the solar zenith angle to be spatially uniform but temporally varying with repeated diurnal cycle:
src/share/util/shr_orb_mod.F90
shr_orb_cosz = -cos((jday-floor(jday))*2.0_SHR_KIND_R8*pi)

I set the insolation to 1069.3W/m2 to make the global average of daily insolation to be 340 W/m2.
I did that via making alteration in the variable SOLIN from /src/physics/rrtmg/radsw.F90
solin(i) = sum(sfac(:)*solar_band_irrad(:)) * eccf * coszrs(i) * 1069.3_r8/1365.0_r8

And I set the global Q-flux to be zero.

Then, my model crashed or showed unrealistically high surface temperature values (>315 K) probably due to a runaway greenhouse effect.
(I've checked global average of FSNT and it was around 340 W/m^2, although it varied throughout the simulation).

Is this "too warm" atmosphere caused by the zero Q-flux? If so, how should I set the Q-flux to prevent the model from the "crash"?
Or are there any other factors that I should modify?

Thank you in advance
Shim

Firstly, I've confused some of my results while testing my RCE/SOM setting on both CAM6 and CAM5.

Some of my results using CAM6 has shown the extremely warm surface temperature, but I think I might made some mistakes in the model setting.
So please neglect below part from my previous post:
Then, my model crashed or showed unrealistically high surface temperature values (>315 K) probably due to a runaway greenhouse effect.
(I've checked global average of FSNT and it was around 340 W/m^2, although it varied throughout the simulation).

Is this "too warm" atmosphere caused by the zero Q-flux? If so, how should I set the Q-flux to prevent the model from the "crash"?
Or are there any other factors that I should modify?

In CAM5 RCE coupled to SOM setting, the model doesn't show extremely warm surface temperature, however, it shows a single convection cell and global surface temperature ~ 284 K (after 2 simulated years, and is keep decreasing).

I was wondering whether there are any scientifically validated RCE simulations run on CAM5/CAM6 coupled to the slab ocean?

Sorry this was my mistake.
I didn't know that SOLIN is diagnostic output, not the actual insolation used in the model.

It works very well after I've changed the "total solar irradiance" input values in "solar_irrad_data_file" to the required values (1069 w/m^2).