CAM6 bulk aerosols

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a CAM namelist (which can be seen at: CESM2 CAM6.3 Namelist Definitions) called prescribed_aero_model. The values for it are 'bulk' and 'modal'.

If your question is more complicated than this, please open a new post in the CAM-Chem forum as aerosols are handled by them.
 

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
Member
Thanks for your help. I've been trying to understand how to implement namelist variables. My documentation may be out of date. How do I get this variable into the input namelist?
 

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
Member
Ok. I can change namelist variables in user_nl_cam, but I can't find the namelist camexp which contains prescribed_aero_model?
 

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you add:

prescribed_aero_model = 'bulk'

to your user_nl_cam, the camexp namelist section should appear in your atm_in file automatically. Let me know if it does not.
 

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What version of CESM or CAM have you checked out? What is your create_newcase command that you are using? With that information, I can try to debug what might be going on. If it is not readily apparent, I'll move this over the CAM-Chem as there may be a dependency of which I'm not aware.
 

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
Member
./create_newcase --case cam6f2000 --compset F2000climo --res f09_f09_mg17

And adding the "bulk" statement to the user_nl_cam file in the case subpath

I think it's CESM 2.0 which can process CAM6 but I'm having trouble verifying this.
 

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Do a `git status` while sitting in the main directory and let me know what it says. If that doesn't work, please look at the top of CAM's doc/ChangeLog and let me know what version it says.
 

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
Member
git status didn't work. it complained about it not being a git repository. I copied from someone else here locally.
The ChangeLog file says cesm2.1.3-rc.01 . March 5, 2020
 

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have confirmed that I too am unable to set this namelist using the F2000climo compset. This indicates to me that it is more complicated than just setting the namelist option. As a result, I am moving this to the CAM-Chem forum as they will be able to help you get set up correctly.
 

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Try this:

./xmlchange -append CAM_CONFIG_OPTS="-chem none"

This will force the CAM to use prescribed bulk aerosols. In some versions of CESM this did not work correctly. If this does not work for you, let me know what version you are using.
 

TCNasa

Tom Caldwell
Member
I tried that but it caused a crash after case.submit:
ERROR: chem_surfvals_readnl:: ERROR reading namelist

I should mention I removed the earlier change to my user_nl_cam file.

CESM 2.1.3
 

tilmes

Member
The bulk aerosol model is not supported in CAM6, and therefore there are very likely various problems to get this to run.
However you should be able to run this in CAM4.
Simone
 
Back
Top