Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM6 single column run crashes in the begining

Yuan Wang

Running CESM2.1.1. Tried different IOPs, but always got the same error message as below after the model only runs a few seconds. Has run "check_case" and "check_input_data", and all seem fine except a warning about the CLM cold start. The log file is attached. Any advice is appreciated!

Error message:

(t_initf) Read in prof_inparm namelist from: drv_in
(t_initf) Using profile_disable= F
(t_initf) profile_timer= 1
(t_initf) profile_depth_limit= 4
(t_initf) profile_detail_limit= 2
(t_initf) profile_barrier= F
(t_initf) profile_outpe_num= 1
(t_initf) profile_outpe_stride= 0
(t_initf) profile_single_file= F
(t_initf) profile_global_stats= T
(t_initf) profile_ovhd_measurement= F
(t_initf) profile_add_detail= F
(t_initf) profile_papi_enable= F
forrtl: severe (71): integer divide by zero
Image PC Routine Line Source
cesm.exe 00000000024B72AE Unknown Unknown Unknown
libpthread-2.22.s 00002AAAB5BE6C00 Unknown Unknown Unknown
libmpi_mt.so 00002AAAB6CB2EEB Unknown Unknown Unknown

Attachments

• cesm.log.11478267.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 5

Yuan Wang

Unfortunately, you have not provided us enough information to debug your problem. I can say that FSCAM is run frequently, and should not crash. Please include the information requested at: Information to include in help requests

Also, the CAM6 User's Guide for CESM2.1.1 is available at:4. Atmospheric configurations (compsets) — camdoc documentation
Section 4.2.3 discusses how to setup a single column run.
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your quick reply. I followed the instruction in the User's Guide. The case setup and build were all successful. After I submitted the job, it was killed after a few seconds. Only two log files are generated, cesm.log and cpl.log. I attached the cpl.log file here. Please let me know what else info you need to diagnose the problem.

Yuan

Attachments

• cpl.log.11478267.txt
    42 KB · Views: 5

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I did the following on the UCAR cheyenne machine and my job ran to completion:

git clone https://github.com/ESCOMP/CESM cesm2.1.1 cd cesm2.1.1 git checkout cesm2.1.1 manage_externals/checkout_externals cd cime/scripts ./create_newcase --case test_scam_default --compset FSCAM --res T42_T42 cd /glade/scratch/cacraig/cesm2.1.1/cime/scripts/test_scam_default ./case.setup ./case.build ./case.submit

Some more obscure problems occur when you run out of disk space (either where your case directory is create, where your job is running and where your inputdata is being downloaded) or if your port to a new machine is not complete.

Last edited: