Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can I change the namelist when running a case?

Biyin

Biyin
Dear All,

I am running a case with CESM2.2, FCHIST. It has been running for several days but recently encountered an error and stopped.

Now I want to change the stream year in docn_in
streams = "docn.streams.txt.prescribed 1850 1850 2016"

and change the stream year in ice_in
stream_year_first = 1850
stream_year_last = 2016

My question is: can I simply change these parameters in the namelist and continue the run, or do I need to modify the namelist and perform a branch run?

Best

slevis

I suggest trying with "continue" first and checking that your changes take effect. If they do not take effect or the run aborts, try again with a "branch" run. Again, if the changes do not take effect or the run aborts, then do a "hybrid" run, which is very similar to "branch" but more flexible.

When you determine the right approach (continue, branch, or hybrid), please post an update here for future reference. Thank you :-)

Biyin

Biyin
I changed the "SSTICE_YEAR_START" and "SSTICE_YEAR_END" in env_run.xml and continue the run

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I just want to caution that not all namelist parameters can be changed while a simulation is running. In some cases it will still run, but not really use the new settings, it will actually be using the original settings from restart files. So I recommend looking in the log files to make sure the settings did actually get used. Since, as I say it depends on the specific setting, the approach that makes the most sense is to check and make sure you got the behavior you intended. Doing a branch simulation is the safe way to ensure you will get the intended behavior.