Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can I use the restart file from cesm2 as the start files of the cesm1 continuation?

CGL

CGL
Hi all,

For some reason, I can't use cesm2 to run. But I got the spinup files from cesm2. I want to use those spinup files as the finit data to drive cesm1 for continue_run. It is possible? What are the corresponding processes and steps?

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi CGL,

I believe running CESM1 using CESM2 output is theoretically possible, as long as the model configurations are similar enough. The way you could try is to setup your CESM1 simulation as a hybrid run, and then use the restart files from the CESM2 spin-up run as the reference case files. Some guidance on how one can setup a hybrid run can be found online here:

Of course if you run into any issues please let us know, although I should note that CESM1 is no longer an officially-supported version of the model, so the amount of support we can provide may be limited.

Thanks, and have a good weekend!

Jesse

Reactions: CGL