Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can MOM6 save restart file with fields at one moment?

Xuan

Xuan Shan
I see users can revise 'RESTINT' to control time interval of restart files. Restart files seem to be saved with daily mean fields? Can we save fields at a moment? Thanks!

Restart files are not daily mean fields, they are instantaneous. They (ideally) contain enough information for a perfect restart. If you ever find that the restarts are not perfect, there is a bug in the restart. I mean two one-hour runs with a restart between should give *exactly* the same answer as a single two-hour run.

Xuan

Xuan Shan
Thanks! I compare a single 30-day run with two 15-day runs with a restart, they are not the same. What problems could have in the restart?

Gosh, it depends! MOM6 has so many options and we don't test all of the combinations. What are the details of your configuration? Did you start with a standard test case? I have fixed some bugs in the OBC restarts. Are you using OBCs?

Xuan

Xuan Shan
I run a buoyancy forced experiment. It's not a standard test case. I have no idea how it restarts, the variables in MOM.res.nc are 3-D velocity, layer thickness, viscous acceleration.

You will either have to tell us a *lot* more about what you are doing or you will have to debug this yourself. The way to debug it yourself is to start with very short runs with DEBUG = True. You will get used to looking at the debug output to see where things diverge. Then I sometimes wind up running two debugger jobs, one starting at time zero, the other from a restart at one hour. One hour is my coupling timestep, so nothing shorter makes sense.

dorukhan

Doruk
Is there an example usage of RESTINT anywhere? It says the time units are in days but when I tried setting it to 1 or 0.5 days it creates MOM.res.nc on the last day only.