Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can WACCM use CO2 surface emission?

Yuan Wang

I notice WACCM and CAM-Chem use Lower Boundary Conditions (LBC) concentrations to drive long-lived spices like CO2. But is there a way to direct use CO2 surface emission fluxes like those BPRP component sets?

I tried to turn on co2_flag and co2flux_fuel_file brutally in the namelist, but it doesn't work

Thanks.

BenGaubert

Benjamin Gaubert
Dear Yuan,
Note that for running with no prescribed Lower Boundary Conditions (LBC) concentrations,
you need to remove CO2 from the list [ foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4', 'N2O','CFC11','CFC12') ] in components/cam/bld/build-namelist

Look for the following paragraph:

# Make sure the flbc_list specifies all the GHGs needed for radiation.
my $flbc_list = $nl->get_value('flbc_list');
if (defined $flbc_list) {
# If flbc_list has already been defined, check that it contains all
# the GHGs needed by the radiation code.
foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4', 'N2O','CFC11','CFC12') {
if ($flbc_list !~ /$ghg/) {
die "$ProgName - ERROR: $ghg is missing from flbc_list \n";
}
}
}
else {
my $val = "'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11','CFC12'";
add_default($nl, 'flbc_list', 'val'=>$val);
}

I have run CAM-chem with prescribed fluxes of CO2 and CH4, but I am not familiar with the BPRP component sets.
Ben

Yuan Wang

Dear Yuan,
Note that for running with no prescribed Lower Boundary Conditions (LBC) concentrations,
you need to remove CO2 from the list [ foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4', 'N2O','CFC11','CFC12') ] in components/cam/bld/build-namelist

Look for the following paragraph:

# Make sure the flbc_list specifies all the GHGs needed for radiation.
my $flbc_list = $nl->get_value('flbc_list');
if (defined $flbc_list) {
# If flbc_list has already been defined, check that it contains all
# the GHGs needed by the radiation code.
foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4', 'N2O','CFC11','CFC12') {
if ($flbc_list !~ /$ghg/) {
die "$ProgName - ERROR: $ghg is missing from flbc_list \n";
}
}
}
else {
my $val = "'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11','CFC12'";
add_default($nl, 'flbc_list', 'val'=>$val);
}

I have run CAM-chem with prescribed fluxes of CO2 and CH4, but I am not familiar with the BPRP component sets.
Ben

Dear Ben,

Thanks for this valuable info. As suggested, I removed 'CO2' in the code above, but got the same error message after the model crashed: "ERROR: ADDFLD: CO2&IC already on list".

I'm using a self-defined compset: SSP245_CAM60%CCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BPR. I'm wondering which compset you used for your successful run? Did you make any other modifications in addition to those in build-namelist?

Much appreciated.

Yuan

Yuexuanzi Wang

Dear Ben,

Thanks for this valuable info. As suggested, I removed 'CO2' in the code above, but got the same error message after the model crashed: "ERROR: ADDFLD: CO2&IC already on list".

I'm using a self-defined compset: SSP245_CAM60%CCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BPR. I'm wondering which compset you used for your successful run? Did you make any other modifications in addition to those in build-namelist?

Much appreciated.

Yuan
Hello, I have met the same problem. Have you ever solved it?