Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Cannot change the historical files output frequency

yugong

yugong
Hi everyone! I ran a FWHIST case with ATM_NCPL=96 (timestep=900s)and nhtfrq=-24 from 2013-01-01 to 2013-01-05. The historical files contain daily variables from 2013-01-01 to 2013-01-05.
Then I changed the ATM_NCPL to 48 (timestep=1800s), and restarted the case with 6 more days to 2013-01-11. However, I find the date in historical file are 2013-01-01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 09, 11, which shows that the program wrote files every 2 days instead of every 1 day after 2013-01-05.

After checking atm.log, I found the following phrase "Write frequency = 96".
Since 96*900s=86400s=24hours, I assume that CESM still write files every 96 time steps according to "ATM_NCPL=96" even if I have changed ATM_NCPL to 48.

I tried to change nhtfrq to 48 and ATM_NCPL to 48 (in this setting it should write files every 48*(1 day / 48)), but it did not help. In atm.log, there is still "Write frequency = 96".

I also have tried to ./case.setup --reset and ./case.build again before restart, but it also did not help. By the way, I used ATM_NCPL=96 because there is instability in the first few days, and I want to save resources so I change ATM_NCPL=48 after a 5 day run.

Anyone know how to make CESM write historical files every day just as set by "nhtfrq=-24" even if I change ATM_NCPL and then restart?

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Correct. A hybrid run is a different animal. If you want to continue the same run with a different output frequency, then you should do a branch. Is it running now?

yugong

yugong
Correct. A hybrid run is a different animal. If you want to continue the same run with a different output frequency, then you should do a branch. Is it running now?
Yes, the program finished successfully. In fact, after I submitted the the branch run, the model froze at the last time step. I solved it by increasing nodes. Thank you, dbailey!