Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CCSM3 restart files

Hi,
Does anyone know if there are equlilibrated restarts available for CCSM3? This would significantly cut down on the resources needed to get things up and running on a new system.
Thanks
Alex

murphys

Hi Alex,

At present we do not have an efficient mean or policy for the dissemination of restart files. They are not on the ESG and are only available via NCAR's mass store. If you already have an account, you can access the restart files directly.

Depending upon how labor intensive it is, we may be able to provide one or two restart files if you can tell us which case and which year you are interested in.

At some point in the future we may determine that we can not provide any restart files b/c of lack of manpower to dig them out of storage. All of that is still up in the air, so please bear with us.

sylvia

Hi Sylvia,
Thanks for that. Ill try and have a poke around on the mass store to see what I can find.

Do you know when access to the ESG will become more widely available, as data is still limited
to 'direct collaborators and a limited group of early users'.

Many thanks
Alex

murphys

Hi Alex,

I was not aware that the ESG was limited in that manner. I will investigate and get back to you. Since you have a mass store account, are you not affiliated with CCSM?

cheers,

sylvia

strandwg

Staff member
alexg said:
Do you know when access to the ESG will become more widely available, as data is still limited to 'direct collaborators and a limited group of early users'.

Access to ESG is completely open, however, there are some history datasets that are available only to those people who register and request access to it, primarily the CCSM data. Since I'm one of the people who approves account requests, if you make it clear in your statement of work that you want access to CCSM data, I'll place you in the CCSM group. As Sylvia noted, if you have access to the NCAR MSS, you can get at CCSM data on it without using ESG, if you so choose.

Eventually all data serviced by ESG will be completely open to all who properly register.