Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM 1.2.2 running errors

Hi All,I am trying to run the CESM 1.2.2 with the B_RCP8.5_CN compset. I was planning to run time slices 2045-2055. I am using the "trop_mozart" mechanism. 

I have several error messages: 1) First, I have the error message of "ERROR: chem_surfvals_readnl: Cannot specify both bndtvghg and flbc_file". After checking on the forum from a previous post, https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/restart-files-mam7-and-rcp45And found that the "bndtvghg" and "flbc_file" in the namelist settings can't coexist. After I removed the "bndtvghg" and "scens_ghg" setting from the namelist, I had the second error message2) " photo_inti: solar_data file needs to contain irradiance spectrum(shr_sys_abort) ERROR: photo_inti: ERROR -- solar irradiance spectrum is missing(shr_sys_abort) WARNING: calling shr_mpi_abort() and stopping"I checked the cesm log file, for the solar radiation, I was reading the "/netscr/yuqiangz/inputdata/atm/cam/solar/SOLAR_TSI_Lean_1610-2140_annual_c100301.nc". I think this file contains the solar irradiance spectrum. Also my test case run was successfully before I specify the "trop_mozart" mechanism and used all the default settings of the "B_RCP8.5_CN" compset. 3) Since the "bndtvghg" and "flbc_file" cann't coexist, and I thought the solar radiation file is fine. I was trying to remove the "flbc_file" configuration from the namelist. However, after I removed the "flbc_file", I can't build the model. It gave me the error message that "CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for flbc_file". It looks like the "flbc_file" was a requirement for my case. I wonder is that because I manually set the "trop_mozart" chemical mechanism in the "env_build.nml"?  Really not sure how to solve this issue.  Thanks for any suggestions and comments!Regards,Yuqiang

Hi, I came up with the same question. I'm running F20C5TR with env_build.xml setting './xmlchange -file env_build.xml -id CAM_CONFIG_OPTS -val '-phys cam5 -chem trop_mozart_mam3''. And I got the run error message '(shr_sys_abort) ERROR: chem_surfvals_readnl: Cannot specify both bndtvghg and flbc_file'. How can I solve this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
To remove bndtvghg from your namelist, try putting this in the user_nl_cam file in your case directory:
bndtvghg = ''

To remove bndtvghg from your namelist, try putting this in the user_nl_cam file in your case directory:
bndtvghg = ''
Hello Dr. Hannay,

If a namelist variable is a string, I can set namelist_variable = '' to remove this namelist. What if a namelist variable is an integer? For example, if I set flbc_type = 'FIXED', I have to unset flbc_cycle_yr. What should I do to unset this variable? Thanks!

Yangcheng