Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM produced 3hourly meteorological files from a free running simulation

anushree

Hi all,
I want to generate CESM produced 3hourly meteorological files from a free running simulation and later use those generated files for FCSD compset.In the CAM6 user guide in the section 6.4,it is mentioned that the following variables are needed as output for creating the met files:
fincl2 = 'FSDS', 'ICEFRAC', 'LANDFRAC', 'OCNFRAC', 'PHIS', 'PS', 'Q', 'QFLX', 'SHFLX', 'T', 'TAUX', 'TAUY', 'TS', 'U', 'V'
Are these variables enough to run the FCSD compset with CESM generated met files?
In the merra2 files, all these variables except ICEFRAC', 'LANDFRAC', 'OCNFRAC’ are there.Two more variables SNOWH(total snow storage land ) and SOILW(surface soil wetness kgm-2) are there in MERRA2 met files which are not available as output in the history fields of cesm.are these required or the variables mentioned in fincl2 enough?
Thanks and regards,
Anushree

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I will be moving this to the CAM-Chem forum as FCSD is a chemistry compset.

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
These are required meteorology fields for SD:
T
U
V
Q
PS
SHFLX
QFLX
TAUX
TAUY

There are some optional fields such as:
TS
SST
ICEFRAC

anushree

These are required meteorology fields for SD:
T
U
V
Q
PS
SHFLX
QFLX
TAUX
TAUY

There are some optional fields such as:
TS
SST
ICEFRAC
Hi,
Just a follow up question.
How can SST and ICEFRAC be optional?Doesnt it need these two to be prescribed?I am confused whether in the FCSD compset SST and ICEFRAC is picked up by the CESM generated meteorology file or by the variable 'stream_fldfilename' in ice_in file (path-https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/trunk/inputdata/atm/cam/sst/) i.e HADOIB1 sst's.Which one is precribed between the two?
Regards,
Anushree

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion. If provided, there are optional meteorological fields that are read by src/dynamics/fv/metdata.F90. In the case of SST and ICEFRAC, the fields provided by surface models (prescribed or prognostic) within CAM are nudged towards the meteorological fields when they are available.

anushree

Sorry for the confusion. If provided, there are optional meteorological fields that are read by src/dynamics/fv/metdata.F90. In the case of SST and ICEFRAC, the fields provided by surface models (prescribed or prognostic) within CAM are nudged towards the meteorological fields when they are available.
I understand that in principle,from a free running compset for example FHIST, the output SST and the input SST (prediddled value) are the same.
In FCSD compset is the same principle followed?Or is the input SST different from output SST after getting nudged?
Sorry maybe i am asking the same thing again but just confirming because i have to design some experiments based on these answers.Hence i wanted to have a clear picture.

tilmes

The SST is prescribed in the FCSD compsets and will not be changes, so there should be not difference for the input and the output.