Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM1 B1850 spinup to steady-state

Camille013

Camille Hankel
I'm running the B1850 compset with CESM1 (T31_g37 grid), and was surprised to find that the initial state was very far from being equilibrated (see attached figure). Doing a little more reading, it seems that this is because the ocean component is initialized with Levitus initial conditions, and that it's possible to start it with spun-up conditions but somewhat complicated and not recommended (https://www.cesm.ucar.edu/models/cesm1.0/cesm/cesm_doc_1_0_6/x2690.html). I'm surprised as I would think many people want to run experiments starting from (at least a quasi-) steady-state, so I'm wondering if there are any easier/more accepted ways to do so? Thanks in advance. Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 2.41.54 PM.png

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Are you using CESM1.0? The truth is we don't really support T31_g37 any longer. We do this for the nominal one-degree runs. It is actually not that hard to start POP in hybrid mode with a spunup initial condition. I am moving this to the POP forum.

Camille013

Camille Hankel
I'm using CESM1.2.2.1. I could certainly runs it in hybrid mode with spunup initial conditions if anyone knows where to find these for the T31_g37 grid? Thanks again