Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM1_0_6 user_nl_cam values usurped

adrianne

I'm running a job using the B_1850_CAM5_CN compset, and setting numerous values in user_nl_cam. For the most part that works, however, when I set:
prescribed_ozone_datapath = '/project/projectdirs/ccsm1/inputdata/atm/cam/ozone'
prescribed_ozone_file = 'ozone_1.9x2.5_L26_1850-2005_c090803.nc'
prescribed_ozone_name = 'O3'
prescribed_ozone_type = 'INTERP_MISSING_MONTHS'

However, when I build the job, the following line shows up in both Buildconf/cam.buildnml.csh and $RUNDIR/atm_in
prescribed_ozone_cycle_yr = 1850

This results in this error:
ozone is prescribed in :ozone_1.9x2.5_L26_1850-2005_c090803.nc
ENDRUN:trcdata_init: Cannot specify data_cycle_yr if data type is not CYCLICAL

When I set:
tracer_cnst_datapath = '/project/projectdirs/ccsm1/inputdata/atm/cam/chem/trop_mozart_aero/oxid'
tracer_cnst_file = 'oxid_1.9x2.5_L26_1850-2005_c091123.nc'
tracer_cnst_filelist = 'oxid_1.9x2.5_L26_clim_list.c090805.txt'
tracer_cnst_specifier = 'O3','OH','NO3','HO2'
tracer_cnst_type = 'INTERP_MISSING_MONTHS'

However, when I build the job, the following line shows up in both Buildconf/cam.buildnml.csh and $RUNDIR/atm_in
tracer_cnst_cycle_yr = 1850

ENDRUN:trcdata_init: Cannot specify data_cycle_yr if data type is not CYCLICAL

In cesm1_0_6, it's easy enough to remove it from the cam.buildnml.csh file, and run. I'm very worried that this may not be fixed in later releases.

santos

I'm not sure whether or not this is addressed in other releases. But I think that one alternative solution is to set the cycle_yr variable to zero.

santos

I'm not sure whether or not this is addressed in other releases. But I think that one alternative solution is to set the cycle_yr variable to zero.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
I agree that setting prescribed_ozone_cycle_yr and tracer_cnst_cycle_yr  to 0 is the best solution (although clearly it's not obvious).This is a feature, not a bug:)  The B_1850_CAM5_CN compset is designed for an 1850 climatology run which is a cyclic mode with respect to the boundary datasets.  The values of the cycle year (1850) are coming from the CAM use case file atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/1850_cam5.xml which is used to implement the compset.  In order to change certain boundary datasets from cyclic to transient *all* the relevent namelist variables must be changed consistently.  The code is flagging the inconsistent settings and asking the user to fix them rather than silently making a choice which may not be what the user intended.Yes, I agree that our error checking and message to the user about what needs to be done to fix the problem could be improved.  

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
I agree that setting prescribed_ozone_cycle_yr and tracer_cnst_cycle_yr  to 0 is the best solution (although clearly it's not obvious).This is a feature, not a bug:)  The B_1850_CAM5_CN compset is designed for an 1850 climatology run which is a cyclic mode with respect to the boundary datasets.  The values of the cycle year (1850) are coming from the CAM use case file atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/use_cases/1850_cam5.xml which is used to implement the compset.  In order to change certain boundary datasets from cyclic to transient *all* the relevent namelist variables must be changed consistently.  The code is flagging the inconsistent settings and asking the user to fix them rather than silently making a choice which may not be what the user intended.Yes, I agree that our error checking and message to the user about what needs to be done to fix the problem could be improved.