Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2.1.3 porting-stuck at ocn initialization

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
Hello! First time to post a thread in the forum. So exciting!
I'm trying to porting CESM2.1.3 to my university cluster. The case.build was successful (though with some warnings), and I use B1850 compset and f19_g17 grid.
But when I submit the job. It stucks at ocean initialization (the job is not terminated though). The last few lines of ocn.log file are as follows:

string too short; not enough room to read comment from /scratch/brown/tratkus/cesmINPUT/ocn/pop/gx1v6/forcing/o2_consumption_scalef_0.30_POP_gx1v6_20180623.nc
(passive_tracer_tools:read_field_3D) reading RESTORE_INV_TAU_MARGINAL_SEA_ONLY from /scratch/brown/tratkus/cesmINPUT/ocn/pop/gx1v6/forcing/ecosys_restore_inv_tau_POP_gx1v6_20170125.nc
(open_read_netcdf) nsize = 111
(open_read_netcdf) len(work_line) = 80
string too short; not enough room to read comment from /scratch/brown/tratkus/c
esmINPUT/ocn/pop/gx1v6/forcing/ecosys_restore_inv_tau_POP_gx1v6_20170125.nc

There are only warnings in cesm.log: WARNING: Rearr optional argument is a pio2 feature, ignored in pio1.
No error message in cpl.log or the log file of other components.

I only made a little modification of the namelist (user_nl_pop):
init_ts_file_fmt = 'bin'
init_ts_outfile_fmt = 'bin'
Before such modification, the ocn initialization stuck at reading init_ts_file. The original format is "nc". But I found the file and it looks like binary without a "nc" suffix. So, I made this modification which made me run a little bit further, but still stuck at ocn initialization.

I guess that maybe it's a inputdata problem? I'm using f19_g17. But, the inputdata that the script tried to read (as show in the ocn.log file) is marked by gx1v6. Shouldn't be gx1v7? Will it be a problem?

Also, the input data directory is shared by the group and contains inputdata for cesm1. If I also set it as the cesm2 input data directory, will it cause any problem (For example, the automatic input data check and download script of CESM2 maybe not able to distinguish the cesm1-specific input data which are not applicable under cesm2? )?

What factors might cause a pending like this? What should I do?

Thanks very much!

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
Hi Jedwards. Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your kind help. I will try your suggestion!