Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2.2.0 B1850 Branch Run Error with nf_mod.F90:730

kezhoulumelody

Kezhou Lu
Hello,

I am running a basic B1850 pre-industrial run using CESM2.2.0 with the restart files from case: b.e21.B1850.f09_g17.CMIP6-piControl.001 (which are downloaded from /glade/campaign/collections/cmip/CMIP6/restarts/b.e21.B1850.f09_g17.CMIP6-piControl.001).

The CESM2.2.0 was correctly ported to our university HPC. I am able to run a "startup" B1850 piControl run. However, when I attempted to do a "branch" run based upon the above restart files, I encountered the following errors soon after the run is started:
"
Opened existing file
ozone_strataero_cyclical_WACCM6_L70_CMIP6-piControl.001_y21-50avg_zm_5day_c180802.nc 196608
WARNING: Rearr optional argument is a pio2 feature, ignored in pio1
NetCDF: Variable not found
pio_support::pio_die:: myrank= -1 : ERROR: nf_mod.F90: 730 :
NetCDF: Variable not found
"
The above error messages are in cesm.log. There are no other clear error messages from other logs. The restart files are copied to the run folder. The resolution of the run is f09_g17, which should be the same as the restart files. The input data file: ozone_strataero_cyclical_WACCM6_L70_CMIP6-piControl.001_y21-50avg_zm_5day_c180802.nc seems correct as well.

I am wondering whether I can directly using the piControl restart file from a different version of CESM2. I am also attaching the cesm.log, cpl.log and atm.log here.

Thank you so much for your help!

Best regards,

Melody

Attachments

• cesm.log.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 1
  • cpl.log.txt
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • atm.log.txt
    33.5 KB · Views: 0

slevis

A troubleshooting idea that comes to mind is to confirm that you can continue your successful startup simulation with a simple restart, before attempting the branch. After that, try a hybrid to see if that works. This process may lead you to find whether there's something wrong with your branch setup. Beyond that, I will let others chime in with further suggestions.

kezhoulumelody

Kezhou Lu
Dear Slevis,

Thank you for your reply. Yes the branch from the successful startup simulation runs successfully. I eventually figured out that the issue with that errors is due to different model versions. I resolved this problem by installing CESM2.1.0 on my local HPC.

Melody