Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2_0_1 and CESM2_0_0 on Cheyenne -Error: PROJECT_REQUIRED is true but no project found when creating new case

Hi all,I am using cesm2.x on Cheyenne machine. I couldn't create any cases and keep getting an error: PROJECT_REQUIRED is true but no project found. I downloaded the cesm2.0.1 code from Github following the tutorial. Then I chcekced all the externals and everything seems to be fine. However, I am not able to create a new case. For instance, when I excute: ./create_newcase --case ~/cases/test_B1850 --compset B1850 --res f09_g17
I got the following messages: Compset longname is 1850_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRDCompset specification file is /gpfs/u/home/kezhou/my_cesm2_0_0_sandbox/cime/../cime_config/config_compsets.xmlCompset forcing is 1850Com forcing is Biogeochemistry intercomponent  with diagnostic CO2ATM component is CAM cam6 physics:LND component is clm5.0:BGC (vert. resol. CN and methane) with prognostic crop:ICE component is Sea ICE (cice) model version 5OCN component is POP2 EcosystemROF component is MOSART: MOdel for Scale Adaptive River TransportGLC component is cism2 (default, higher-order, can run in parallel):cism ice evolution turned off (this is the standard configuration unless you're explicitly interested in ice evolution):WAV component is Wave WatchESP component is Pes     specification file is /gpfs/u/home/kezhou/my_cesm2_0_0_sandbox/cime/../cime_config/config_pes.xmlCompset specific settings: name is RUN_STARTDATE and value is 0001-01-01Compset specific settings: name is RUN_REFDATE and value is 0130-01-01Compset specific settings: name is RUN_TYPE and value is hybridCompset specific settings: name is RUN_REFCASE and value is b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.297Compset specific settings: name is RUN_REFDIR and value is cesm2_initMachine is cheyennePes setting: grid match    is a%0.9x1.25.+l%0.9x1.25.+oi%gx1 Pes setting: machine match is cheyenne Pes setting: compset_match is CAM.*d_.*CLM.+CICE.+POP.+WW3 Pes setting: grid          is a%0.9x1.25_l%0.9x1.25_oi%gx1v7_r%r05_g%gland4_w%ww3a_m%gx1v7 Pes setting: compset       is 1850_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD Pes setting: tasks       is {'NTASKS_ATM': -16, 'NTASKS_ICE': -2, 'NTASKS_CPL': -16, 'NTASKS_LND': -13, 'NTASKS_WAV': -1, 'NTASKS_ROF': -13, 'NTASKS_OCN': -4, 'NTASKS_GLC': -16} Pes setting: threads     is {'NTHRDS_ICE': 1, 'NTHRDS_ATM': 1, 'NTHRDS_ROF': 1, 'NTHRDS_LND': 1, 'NTHRDS_WAV': 1, 'NTHRDS_OCN': 1, 'NTHRDS_CPL': 1, 'NTHRDS_GLC': 1} Pes setting: rootpe      is {'ROOTPE_OCN': -16, 'ROOTPE_LND': 0, 'ROOTPE_ATM': 0, 'ROOTPE_ICE': -13, 'ROOTPE_WAV': -15, 'ROOTPE_CPL': 0, 'ROOTPE_ROF': 0, 'ROOTPE_GLC': 0} Pes setting: pstrid      is {} Pes other settings: {}Pes comments: about 6.5ypd expected Compset is: 1850_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD  Grid is: a%0.9x1.25_l%0.9x1.25_oi%gx1v7_r%r05_g%gland4_w%ww3a_m%gx1v7  Components in compset are: ['cam', 'clm', 'cice', 'pop', 'mosart', 'cism', 'ww3', 'sesp', 'drv', 'dart']  *********************************************************************************************************************************This compset and grid combination is not scientifically supported, however it is used in 9 tests.********************************************************************************************************************************* No project info available ERROR: PROJECT_REQUIRED is true but no project found
Btw, I also downloaded cesm2.0.0 and tried to build a same case. However, I got the exact same error. I couldn't figure it out by myself and I will be more than appreciated if someone can give me some advice. Many thanks! -Melody

Hmmm I solved this problem. We need to specify our project number when creating cases, which means we should do the following command:./create_newcase --case ~/cases/test_B1850 --compset B1850 --res f09_g17 --project [/b]

Thanks for posting, Melody, this was helpful.  FYI, for anyone like me using Stampede2-- if you have more than one project number available to you, you also need to specify project/account number when creating a case, otherwise the case will create and build, but you won't be able to submit it.

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For cheyenne, you can login to sam.ucar.edu to find your project number. But it looks like it's down this
week for cheyenne's maintenance.

Chris