Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Changing PCTs in surfdata

Andrie

Andrie
Dear Team,

I am using CLM5.0 with CESM2.1.2 and want to change a surfdata file to add additional tree cover. Thus, I wrote a python script where I am changing the PCT_CROP, PCT_NATVEG and PCT_NAT_PFT variables in the file surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr2014_c200512.nc. However, I saw that the file also has variables like MONTHLY_LAI and MONTHLY_HEIGHT_TOP/BOTTOM.

I am now wondering if I have to change these variables as well (in particular the LAI one) or if it is enough to change the PCT variables to implement my afforestation and decrease the grass, shrub and cropland area.

Thanks a lot for your help!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Those variables are only used in SP (satellite phenology) mode. The fact that you are using a 78pft surface dataset makes me think you are running BGC-Crop, not SP.