Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Changing the timestep in CAM-FV

KumarR

Kumar Roy
Dear CAM users,

Can I run CAM-FV with resolution of 1.9X2.5 by changing its model timestep from 1800s(default) to 600s?

Thank you.

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

I believe you can change the model timestep by altering ATM_NCPL (which specifies how many timesteps and coupling periods occur over the NCPL_BASE_PERIOD). The defaults in CAM are ATM_NCPL=48 and NCPL_BASE_PERIOD="day" which means the timestep size is 1/48 days (30 min or 1800s).

If you instead want 600s timesteps, you can try changing ATM_NCPL in your case to 144 by running:

./xmlchange ATM_NCPL=144

Courtney

KumarR

Kumar Roy
Hi Courtney,

Thank you for your reply. So, is it technically correct to change the model timestep to 600s as it should also have an impact on radiation, microphysics etc, as I think CAM-FV uses same timestep (1800s) for different resolutions?

Thanks,
Kumar