Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

cheyenne error loading module 'tcl2lua'

thoar

I have downloaded tag release-cesm2.2.0 and am trying to build a 3 member multi-instance (multi-driver) case and am running into the following:

ERROR: module command /glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod python load ncarenv/1.3 cmake intel/19.0.5 esmf_libs mkl failed with message:
/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/8.1.7/bin/lua: error loading module 'tcl2lua' from file '/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/../lib/tcl2lua.so':
libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function 'require'
...u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/utils.lua:828: in function 'build_runTCLprog'
...u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/utils.lua:833: in main chunk
...pps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/colorize.lua:43: in main chunk
...lade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod:110: in main chunk

ERROR: Case could not be set up.

My loaded modules are:

Currently Loaded Modules:
1) ncarenv/1.3 2) intel/19.0.5 3) ncarcompilers/0.5.0 4) mpt/2.22 5) netcdf/4.7.4 6) mkl/2019.0.5

Has anyone run into this? More specifically ... how do I fix it?

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Is this a repeatable error? I was able to build a multi-instance and multi-driver test using release-cesm2.2.0 on cheyenne.

Chris

thoar

VERY repeatable ... what modules do you have loaded ... and what modules is the test using?
Perhaps also ... what shell are you running?

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The cesm scripts purge the user modules, and loads it's own modules that specified in env_mach_specific.xml.
You can see the commands issued in .env_mach_specific.sh for bash or .env_mach_specific.csh for csh/tcsh.
I'm using tcsh, but the shell shouldn't make a difference.

Can you point me to your case on cheyenne, then I can try to repeat your failure.

Thanks
Chris

thoar

Grrrrr .... system configuration change, apparently. In short, something between my .login and my .tcshrc (both of which have worked fine since the dawn of cheyenne) now conflicts. I am tracking it down, but I seem to be on my way. Essentially, I had to remove my .tcshrc and just use the .login. As I say, I am exploring why my previous environment that worked for years is no longer working.

Sorry to bother anyone.

mlague

Not a bother, I'm now having this issue also! I'll try disposing of by .tcshrc (sad) and see if that fixes my problems... :(

Ziqi Yin

Ziqi Yin
Hi Chris, I am creating a new B1850G case under the 1pctCO2 scenario using CESM2.1.3 and I also ran into a similar 'error loading module 'tcl2lua'':

cesm model version found: cesm2.1.3-rc.01
Batch_system_type is pbs
job is case.run USER_REQUESTED_WALLTIME None USER_REQUESTED_QUEUE None WALLTIME_FORMAT %H:%M:%S
job is case.st_archive USER_REQUESTED_WALLTIME None USER_REQUESTED_QUEUE None WALLTIME_FORMAT %H:%M:%S
Creating Case directory /glade/scratch/ziqiyin/release-cesm2.1.3.cism_B1850G1PCT_f09_g17_2160pes_230302_test0
This component includes user_mods /glade/u/home/ziqiyin/src/POPARCTIC/release-cesm2.1.3.cism/components/cice/cime_config/usermods_dirs/cmip6
Adding user mods directory /glade/u/home/ziqiyin/src/POPARCTIC/release-cesm2.1.3.cism/components/cice/cime_config/usermods_dirs/cmip6
ERROR: No variable ROOTPE_IAC found in case
ERROR: module command /glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod python purge failed with message:
/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/8.1.7/bin/lua: error loading module 'tcl2lua' from file '/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/../lib/tcl2lua.so':
libtcl8.6.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
stack traceback:
...u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/utils.lua:828: in function 'build_runTCLprog'
...u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/utils.lua:833: in main chunk
...pps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/colorize.lua:43: in main chunk
...lade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod:110: in main chunk
cp: target ‘/glade/scratch/ziqiyin/release-cesm2.1.3.cism_B1850G1PCT_f09_g17_2160pes_230302_test0/run/’ is not a directory

My source code is at /glade/u/home/ziqiyin/src/POPARCTIC/release-cesm2.1.3.cism. I work with Adam Herrington, and he can't reproduce this error. So, I am wondering if this is a problem of my own environment. May I ask how I could fix this? Thanks very much!

Best,
Ziqi

aherring

Adam
wondering if this has anything to do with trying (and failing) to compile cesm on casper? my understanding is that's a no no ...

Ziqi Yin

Ziqi Yin
Just tested that's true for my case... I got the error loading module 'tcl2lua' since I logged in through Casper and compiled CESM. The error was gone when I logged in through Cheyenne. I forgot about this. Thanks Adam!