Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM modelled output to use in an undergrad dissertation

cveloso

Cristiana
Hello CESM,
My name is Cristiana I am an undergrad student at the University of Bristol in the UK. I am completing a dissertation into how El Nino will impact the carbon flux of the Amazon rainforest under RCP8.5. I would like access to the CLM modelled output plots and data to see if there is any data or plots, I might be able to use for my dissertation. I could not find where to access this on this wesbite: CESM2 Community Land Model - CLM5. Unfortunately no one at my university that I have spoken to seems to have used CLM before or researched into ENSO much so I am really struggling to get started and find data and modelled output. I am not looking to run a model as that would take too long. Ideally I would like to find already run experiments and output and data for RCP8.5 and a control run up to 2100 that contains NPP, precipitation, land surface temperature or any other climatic variables such as soil moisture and respiration for the amazon rainforest that I might be able to use. I emailed Elizabeth (CESM program support) and she told me to try here.
Thank you for all your time and help and I hope its okay for me to post on here like this.
All the best,
Cristiana.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For your specific requirements, I would recommend accessing the CESM2 CMIP6 data for RCP8.5 simulations. That includes CLM5 output. You can find that here:

If you search on "CESM2", "ScenarioMIP", "SSP585", you should get a list of available data for your study. E.g., I see a listing for "CMIP6.ScenarioMIP.NCAR.CESM2.ssp585.r11i1p1f1.Lmon.npp.gn", which is monthly NPP (net primary production).

There are some land diagnostics (plots) for these ScenarioMIP simulations through this link available from the web page you mentioned:

cveloso

Cristiana
Hello Keith,
Thank you for your help. I did find this data yesterday as well on that website but I wasn't able to download any data until I created an account and got Globus. I did both and tried downloading the data through Globus but I keep running into an authentication error so the data download fails. Is there another way to download this data? Or do you know why I keep getting an authentication error on globus transfer? Thank you again for your time.

strandwg

Staff member
Hello Keith,
Thank you for your help. I did find this data yesterday as well on that website but I wasn't able to download any data until I created an account and got Globus. I did both and tried downloading the data through Globus but I keep running into an authentication error so the data download fails. Is there another way to download this data? Or do you know why I keep getting an authentication error on globus transfer? Thank you again for your time.

Difficulties with usage of ESGF can be reported to

esgf-user@lists.llnl.gov

Not all data on ESGF are accessible via Globus.