Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM version in CESM2.3

Joanna Liu

Zehui Liu
Hi,
When I use cesm2_3_beta17, I can choose CLM5.0, CLM5.1, or CLM6.0 for the land component. I’m wondering where to see their code difference, is it in the my_cesm_sandbox/components/clm/src directory or other places?
Best, Zehui

Joanna Liu

Zehui Liu
In addition, I found that the surface data produced by mksurfdata_esmf has less tree area than the previous data (probably produced by mksurfdata_map), e.g. in landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_simyr1850-2015_c170428.nc the 2015 tree area is calculated to be 37.66 million km2 (consistent with other people's posts), while in landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_hist_78_CMIP6_1850-2015_c230601.nc only 33.56 million km2 is calculated. I'm curious if the raw data has changed much.
Btw., CLM seems to be underestimated: FAO reported 40.84 million km2.
Looking forward to any response!

slevis

1) The different versions use different paramfile and fire_method settings in the namelist. To check for any other differences, type 'git grep clm4_5' in your clm directory (similarly for the other versions) and compare what you get for each one.

2) For information on how the landuse files have changed, you should reach out to Peter Lawrence.