Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM3.5-DGVM initial conditions file compabitibility with CCSM3

Hi! I just want to confirm if the initial conditions files from a CLM3.5-DGVM spin-up run should be compatible as input to a fully-coupled run (compset B) of CCSM3?

The DGVM manual indicates that it is possible to initialize a coupled simulation with an initial or restart file from an offline simulation, but since CLM3.5 is only supported in the offline version, I wondered if this applies.

I was able to run CCSM with DGVM from arbitrary initial conditions in the land component. I tried running CCSM3 with DGVM and an initial conditions files from CLM3.5-DGVM but got a "check_dim / mismatch dimensions" error.

Thanks!

slevis

Normally a clm.i file from an offline run should work in coupled mode. However, I am not sure whether such files from clm3.5 are backwards compatible with clm3.

The dimensions mismatch error makes me suspect that you're using a different surface dataset (fsurdat in the clm namelist) in the coupled vs. offline runs. If that's true, then I would suggest rerunning the offline run with the surface dataset from the coupled run. Still, I would not wait till the offline run finished to try starting the coupled run, in case a new error arose.

Alternatively you could interpolate the data that's in your clm.i file to make it work in the coupled run. There are a couple of postings about that on this bulletin board in the thread entitled "Errors with input dataset for CLM3.5-DGVM and -CN". In one of these postings I mentioned the interpinic tool which will do what you need, except that I don't think that it will work for DGVM variables. You would need to modify it to work for DGVM variables, and you may find that it's not very straightfwd...

Sam