Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Clm3.5 - dgvm

casch@mit_edu

Hello,

We have just completed a 50-year test run of CLM-DGVM (version 3.5) in OpenMPI mode (using 64-bit Opteron machines). We have not made any modifications to the source code (i.e. all we did was invoke "define DGVM" in the compile options).

We have performed this run with no specified initial conditions (so finidata = '' in our namelist file). The model starts and completes the 50 year simulation (i.e. "endrun" is not called by CLM or no runtime errors). However, all of the biogeophysical variables as well as those from the 'hv' netCDF history files give either undefined or null values for grids where DGVM should be growing vegetation. Although we do see values in the biogeophysical outputs for grids specified as lake or glacier landunit types.

It seems as though the DGVM module is not growing vegetation in the grid like it should (i.e. looking at the Levis et al. tech. report - we should be seeing some signs of vegetation, npp, rh, etc. values within the first 10 years of the run).

Any idea as to why the model is behaving this way?

Thank you!

casch@mit_edu

Thanks for writing back anyway Sam. We'll keep on hacking away at this and let you know if we come up with something.

Hope all is well,
Adam

slevis

Yes, maxpft should be set to 10 for the dgvm instead of 4, which I think was the default in clm3.5. Hopefully this will fix your problem, though I don't necessarily see the connection...

Sam