Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM5 -bgc decomposition pool

renqiujie

renqiujie
Hi , I want to study soil carbon storage, my compset is 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV , lnd_in file has 'use_century_decomp =.true. ' and 'use_cn =.true.' , which decomposition pool is used? In addition, the decomposition rate of CLM5_Params.*. NC and CLM5 technical documents is different in CLM-CN Pool and century-based Pool, which one should be referred to?

Thanks

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Based on the compset you list above, your simulation will be using the Century based Pools. That's what "use_century_decomp = .true." means use the Century based Pools, if it were .false. it would use the CLM-CN based pools. The use_cn logical refers to using Carbon and Nitrogen pools to track growth of vegetation (so both the Century based pools and CLM-CN based pools have this logical turned on). We've realized that use_cn is a confusing name, and plan to switch to something more easily understood in the future.

demibing

Hello, I want to estimate soil carbon storage, may I ask which compset should I choose? Is I1850CruClm45bgc right?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks a lot

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member

CGL

CGL
Based on the compset you list above, your simulation will be using the Century based Pools. That's what "use_century_decomp = .true." means use the Century based Pools, if it were .false. it would use the CLM-CN based pools. The use_cn logical refers to using Carbon and Nitrogen pools to track growth of vegetation (so both the Century based pools and CLM-CN based pools have this logical turned on). We've realized that use_cn is a confusing name, and plan to switch to something more easily understood in the future.
Hi! if i want to modify the soil carbon storage. what steps is I should follow ? I don't find the detail or example in CLM User's Guide.

CGL

CGL
Soil carbon is prognostic so you can't directly modify it.
I want to experiment the relationship between soil respiration rate,soil activity and soil carbon. How can i can reflect the soil respiration rate and soil activity in CLM?