Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

cloud fraction in CAM3

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
In CAM3, there are 3 types of clouds: stratus (Cs), convective(Cc) and layered clouds based on realtive humidity (Crel).
You can find the description of the cloud fraction parameterization in:
http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/models/atm-cam/docs/description/

To output:
- the stratus cloud fraction, use: CLDST
- the convective cloud fraction, use: CONCLD

The total cloud fraction at each level is:
CLOUD = max (Cs, Cc, Crel)

> I am a graduate student using low level cloud fraction data from the CCSM3.0 (CAM3) model for my Master's thesis. In the model documentation it says that cloud fraction is comprised of amounts of low-level marine stratus, convective, and layered clouds. It also says that 3 cloud fraction levels (low, middle, high) are calculated by pressure level.
>
> I cannot seem to find any documentation that states what cloud type is in each level. Based on the equations I am left to assume that low level cloud fraction could contain all three cloud types instead of just low-level marine stratus. Could you help me find an answer to this question? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kathryn