Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

configuration issue (cesm_setup) in ice files?

Hi CESM helpers! I am having a problem setting up a basic CESM run that I think is due to the cice namelist not being created.  When running cesm_setup, I get this output: Macros script already created ...skipping
Machine/Decomp/Pes configuration has already been done ...skipping
Running preview_namelist script
CAM writing dry deposition namelist to drv_flds_in
CAM writing namelist to atm_in
CLM configure done.
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var sim_year with val 1850
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var sim_year_range with val constant
CLM adding use_case 1850_control defaults for var use_case_desc with val Conditions to simulate 1850 land-use
CICE configure done.
build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for grid_file
user defined attributes:
Died at /net/san-a1-ib/data/keeling/a/wlchapma/source/CESM/cesm1_1_1/models/ice/cice/bld/build-namelist line 708.
ERROR: cice.buildnml.csh failed Also, check_input_data says it has all the data it needs, but I don't see any ice data.  Maybe none is needed?./check_input_data -check -inputdata /data/j-walsh2/a/wlchapma/data/CESM/INPUTDATA/F19Input Data List Files Found:
./Buildconf/cpl.input_data_list
./Buildconf/cam.input_data_list
./Buildconf/clm.input_data_list I'm using the f19_f19 grid in the create_newcase command. Thanks for any help on this. - Bill 

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Bill,You should know better than to use prescribed ice. ;) There is a bug in the inputdata check that doesn't retrieve all of the data for the CICE model. If you edit $CODEROOT/models/ice/cice/bld/build-namelist and delete the following two lines from this script, it should work. You can also manually check the ice_in file and svn export the relevant files.Dave===================================================================--- build-namelist    (revision 46739)+++ build-namelist    (working copy) @@ -823,8 +827,6 @@         }         }     }-    close OUTFILE if defined $inputdata_rootdir;-    return 0 if defined $inputdata_rootdir;     } } 

Hi David,    Today I've met the same problem as Bill's. I deleted the two lines as you told, but cesm_setup still doesn't work. And check_inputdata can not found ice_in files.    The create_newcase process is :-user_compset 2000_CAM5_SLND_CICE_DOCN%SOM_SROF_SGLC_SWAV -res f19_f19    Thanks for help. -------------------------------------    CAM writing dry deposition namelist to drv_flds_in CAM writing namelist to atm_in CICE configure done.build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for grid_fileuser defined attributes:Died at /work/zhxc_work/cesm1_2_1/models/ice/cice/bld/build-namelist line 708.ERROR: cice.buildnml.csh failedERROR: /work/zhxc_work/cesm1_2_1/scripts/f19f19FSOMI/preview_namelists failed: 25344  

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There are several issues here. First, this is not a supported compset and you need to work this out on your own. Second, this grid combination f19_f19 is not supported for SOM mode. Third, you need to read the FAQ for the SOM at:

https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/faq-data-ocean-slab-mode-docn-somDave