Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Cooling trend with BGC-BDRD in CESM1.2

hshin74

Ho-Jeong Shin
Hello. I am a researcher in South Korea.
Our research team planned a CO2 ramp experiment with CESM1.2.2.

To get a baseline experiment, we ran the model for 800 years fixed at 2000 with BGC-BDRD turned on.
Using the baseline output, we set an initial condition for the CO2 ramp experiment.
Unfortunately, our experiment with increasing CO2 resulted in cooling at the surface.
The simulated global mean surface temperature (GMST) had decreased almost monotonously till the end of simulation that started in 2001 and ended in 2063.
When I tried the baseline experiment using CAM4 (one of the out-of-box compsets) as below, I got a cooling trend of GMST as well.

Baseline:
B_2000_CAM5_CLM4%CN_CICE_POP2%ECO_RTM_SGLC_SWAV_BGC%BDRD (44yrs)
==> GMST oscillates (I assume that this is normal.)

Experiment:
B_2000_CAM5%RCO2_CLM4%CN_CICE_POP2%ECO_RTM_SGLC_SWAV_BGC%BDRD (63yrs)
==> GMST decreases

Out-of-box compset(B_1850_BGC-BDRD):
B_1850_CAM4_CLM4%CN_CICE_POP2%ECO_RTM_SGLC_SWAV_BGC%BDRD (20yrs)
==> GMST decreases

I have tried to figure out what kind of mistake I made in there, but with no fruit. Can you please give me some advice?

Thank you in advance for your help!