Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Copying Pre-Built Code to New Cases?

jskenigson

Jessica S Kenigson
I'm running many different cases and each time I change the model code, I am currently re-building (with case.build) for each case. I believe this is probably inefficient and unnecessary. If I re-build one case, can I just copy the "bld" directory to the other case directories, or do I need to modify something else as well? Thanks!

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Good question! I haven't done this myself, but I'm pretty sure the way to do this – as long as you're using a relatively recent version (CESM2.x) – is the following:
- Choose one case to be the one where you do the builds
- From that case, run ./xmlquery EXEROOT
- In all of your other cases, run ./xmlchange EXEROOT=/path/to/exeroot/from/your/original/case
- Then, whenever you want to do the build, just do it from the original case

As with anything where I'm not 100% sure of the procedure, I'd recommend making some obvious change first to make sure the process works - for example, adding a write statement that writes some message to a log file that you can check in one of the additional cases, to make sure it is truly picking up the executable from the first case.

Feel free to post a reply if this doesn't work for you and I'll help figure out what's wrong.