Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Crop model

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi,

I want to calculate the crop N biomass below/above ground, where I can find these related variables? Another thing is I want to change the crop planting date, I wondering which part of the code describes it.

Thank you!

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Hi Jinmu,

If you want to set a custom sowing window, you can do that by modifying the four (min/max)_(N/S)H_planting_date variables in the parameter file netCDF. min/max refer to the start and end, respectively, of the sowing window. (Set them to the same date to prescribe a sowing date.) N/S refer to northern or southern hemisphere, respectively—note that these variables control entire hemispheres. (Northern hemisphere is defined as latitude > 0.)

Unexpected behavior will result if you specify a sowing window that spans two calendar years, so make sure max >= min. I hope to merge new code fixing this soon.

If you want to specify a sowing date that varies more than by hemisphere, let me know and I can walk you through it—documentation is coming later this month.

samrabin

Sam Rabin
I will also soon merge code that produces N biomass from the harvested part of crops. This in addition to existing N output variables (which I'm not familiar with) should enable the calculation you're looking for.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi Jinmu,

If you want to set a custom sowing window, you can do that by modifying the four (min/max)_(N/S)H_planting_date variables in the parameter file netCDF. min/max refer to the start and end, respectively, of the sowing window. (Set them to the same date to prescribe a sowing date.) N/S refer to northern or southern hemisphere, respectively—note that these variables control entire hemispheres. (Northern hemisphere is defined as latitude > 0.)

Unexpected behavior will result if you specify a sowing window that spans two calendar years, so make sure max >= min. I hope to merge new code fixing this soon.

If you want to specify a sowing date that varies more than by hemisphere, let me know and I can walk you through it—documentation is coming later this month.
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your detailed explanations! Last question, could you please tell me the name of this "parameter file netCDF"

best,

Jinmu

wwieder

Will Wieder
Sorry for my delay on this, are you just looking for TOTVEGC and TOTVEGN? If you write patch or colum level output this would be specific for crop N pools. Alternatively LEAFN, FROOTN, CROPPROD1N at a PFT level would be the above and belowground components of the total vegetation pools.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi Jinmu,

If you want to set a custom sowing window, you can do that by modifying the four
(min/max)_(N/S)H_planting_date variables in the parameter file netCDF. min/max refer to the start and end, respectively, of the sowing window. (Set them to the same date to prescribe a sowing date.) N/S refer to northern or southern hemisphere, respectively—note that these variables control entire hemispheres. (Northern hemisphere is defined as latitude > 0.)

Hi Sam, @samrabin

Can we specify different sowing dates for each year? I don't know how to achieve this by changing the parameter file. Or could we change the date manually in the code by assigning the date to different years, if possible, which file do you think I could start with? Thank you so much.

Best,

Jinmu Luo

samrabin

Sam Rabin
You're right that it's not possible to do this in the parameter file. However, it is possible using a geographically gridded sowing date input file. The files in the input data repository at lnd/clm2/cropdata/calendars/processed/ show what these should look like. If you tell me the version of the model you're working with, I can give you more information.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
You're right that it's not possible to do this in the parameter file. However, it is possible using a geographically gridded sowing date input file. The files in the input data repository at lnd/clm2/cropdata/calendars/processed/ show what these should look like. If you tell me the version of the model you're working with, I can give you more information.
Hi sam,

I'm working with the tag dev.163.

Best,

Jinmu Luo

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Okay, great. Instructions for running with prescribed sowing windows can be found in the User's Guide here. Let me know if you have any questions!