Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

csim_inparm: icecyc not recognized by cam3.5.35 build-namelist

raeder

I built cam3.5.35 and the variable icecyc showed up in the ice_in file,
but when I have that variable in an input file to build-namelist (via
-infile file_with_icecyc) I get a message that ice_cyc is not recognized:
ERROR: in _validate_pair (package Build::NamelistDefinition):
Variable name icecyc not found in /home/blueice/raeder/
Cam3/cam3.5.35/models/atm/cam/bld/namelist_files/
namelist_definition.xml

I looked in the ChangeLog, but didn't see any mention of icecyc being
excluded, and it's certainly still in the csim4 code.

Is this an omission from namelist_definition.xml, or am I doing something illegal?

Thanks,
Kevin Raeder

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
There was some bug fixes for build-namelist in cam3_5_36. I don't know if your problem comes from these but an easy test would be to try to build the namelist in cam3_5_36 and to see if you hit the same problem.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The reason icecyc appears in the ice_in file is because build-namelist writes it there, ensuring that it is consistent with the value of sstcyc in the ocn_in file. These namelist variables are not independent. The csim and dom code read the same sst dataset which is set by the bndtvs variable. If you change sstcyc then icecyc will be changed consistently.

The problem that you're running into is the result of trying to specify something to build-namelist that the user is not allowed to specify (only sstcyc may be specified by the user). I think it's probably best not to use the ice_in namelist as a -infile input. CSIM settings are the same as the DOM settings and can't be specified independently.