Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CTSM output frequency change

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I have changed CTSM output frequency from monthly to daily in the middle of a run. I was wondering if I need to set up and build the case again or is it ok to submit the case? I run the model 1980-1995 and then changed the output frequency. Now I have to run the model from 1996.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can't change history frequency in the middle of a run. However, you can setup a branch case to start from the point where you want it to change and change history frequency at that point. You could clone your other case, and then setup the REFCASE xml settings to point to it, as well as setting the RUN_TYPE to branch.

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Is it possible if I add the following lines in my user_nl_cl in the middle of a run?

hist_fincl2 = 'H2OSOI'
hist_nhtfrq = 0, -24
hist_mfilt = 1, 30

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What happens is it will ignore those changes and continue how it was setup beforehand. Not, all namelist items can be changed midrun. It's true that some will take effect immediately, but history variables won't. History variables imply a previous history of history files when you restart and that won't be available when you change them. It's going to clearer to do a separate branch run anyway.

MAHE1319

Mahendra Singh
You can't change history frequency in the middle of a run. However, you can setup a branch case to start from the point where you want it to change and change history frequency at that point. You could clone your other case, and then setup the REFCASE xml settings to point to it, as well as setting the RUN_TYPE to branch.
Hii Mr. Erik
I am a new user of CESM and I also want to change my output frequency of history file. Could you please explain step by step how to do it? It will be very helpful for me.

Thank you.