Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CTSM resolution problem

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I was trying to run CTSM cases and looking for 27 km resolution model. I tried this one (./create_newcase --case /glade/u/home/maruf/CLM_test4 --compset I2000Ctsm50NwpBgcCropGswp --res f10_f10_musgs) and found the resolution is very low. Since f10_f10 is not working for me, what can I change for 27 km resolution model run.

Thank you!!

aherring

Adam
Your best bet is to try ne120pg3_ne120pg3_mt13, but I can't be certain that it will work. This grid alias pertains to the 1/4 degree spectral-element unstructured grid. What code base are you running?

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
I was trying to run the cases offline. In that case which resolution should I use to get 27 km domain?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't think that 27 km grid is supported in offline mode, but I'll ask someone to check on that.

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @negins thank you for your reply. In that case can we use some other grid options close to 27 km. Our goal is to build high resolution model for whole USA. Can we use NLDAS-2 grid over the U.S which is 0.125 degree resolution. I have attached the screenshot.

Capture.JPG

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I tried this with cesm2.2.0:

--compset I2000Ctsm50NwpSpGswp --res nldas2_rnldas2_mnldas2

and that ran for 1 month.
There doesn't appear to be an nldas2 surface dataset for the BgcCrop version of this compset (I2000Ctsm50NwpBgcCropGswp) so you'd have to create one.
You can create one using:

./mksurfdata.pl -res 0.125nldas2 -y 2000

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
@oleson thank your kind help. After executing the command ./mksurfdata.pl -res 0.125nldas2 -y 2000 the following error showed up. Could you please enlighten me with some ideas what I need to change?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 10

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @oleson thank you for the help. It's working now!! Can we use NLDAS forcing and BGC to create this following case: --compset I2000Ctsm50NwpBgcCropNldas --res nldas2_rnldas2_mnldas2

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That compset shortname doesn't exist.
You can see available clm compsets using:
./query_config --compsets clm

However, you could pick a compset that is close to what you want (I2000Ctsm50NwpBgcCropGswp) and modify its longname:

2000_DATM%NLDAS2_CLM50%NWP-SP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV_SIAC_SESP

in your create_newcase command:

--compset 2000_DATM%NLDAS2_CLM50%NWP-BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV_SIAC_SESP

Last edited:

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @oleson, I appreciate your kind support. I tried with the newcase (--compset 2000_DATM%NLDAS2_CLM50%NWP-BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV_SIAC_SESP) and this error showed up during case build. Do I need to again create the surface data?

Capture.JPG

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You need to tell the model where to find the surface dataset you made and what the name is of that dataset.
Add this into your user_nl_clm in your case directory:

fsurdat = 'YOUR_SURFACE_DATASET'

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The exclamation point in front of the statement means that it will be interpreted as a comment.
Put it below this lower line without an exclamation point in front of it:

!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't already, I recommend you take a look at the CTSM Tutorial material:

And more broadly the CESM tutorial material and the CESM Distance Learning Course:

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @oleson, I am trying to run the same case and forcing for 1 deg resolution. I run this case (2000_DATM%NLDAS2_CLM50%SP_SICE_SOCN_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV_SIAC_SESP --res f09_g17) but this is 1 deg. for global. If I want it for only USA, do I need to follow the same procedure mentioned above, making surface data ./mksurfdata.pl -res 1nldas2 -y 2000?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you want to create a 1 deg surface dataset over just the US then I would probably use the getregional_datasets.ncl script. For release-cesm2.2.0, it is in components/clm/tools/ncl_scripts.
In newer versions of ctsm, there is a tool called subset_data.py in tools/site_and_regional that you could try.