Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Custom topography in Held-Suarez model

drchessgremlin

Brandon N Benton
Right now I am just trying to modify the default FHS94 run with a topography file. I have simply followed the instructions described here Dynamical Core | Held Suarez and have zeroed out the PHIS variable just to make sure things run under ideal conditions. PHIS = 0 everywhere should run exactly as though no topo file is being used. However, I get the following error:

SHR_REPROSUM_CALC: Input contains 0.10000E+03 NaNs and 0.00000E+00 INFs on process 0
ERROR: shr_reprosum_calc ERROR: NaNs or INFs in input

I am somewhat new to working with CESM and wondering if anybody has some experience with this issue. Thanks!

brianpm

Seems like your file might contain invalid values. Have you checked that PHIS is actually zero in the file and is a float type? Another possibility is that you saved the modified file as a netCDF4, which the model does not seem able to use (at least that was the case not too long ago when I ran into it). You can check that with "ncdump -k".

islas

There are some issues with reading in custom topography in some of the recent versions of CESM2. I think if you download the latest release CESM2.2, you should find that this is fixed. Is that an option for you?

drchessgremlin

Brandon N Benton
Seems like your file might contain invalid values. Have you checked that PHIS is actually zero in the file and is a float type? Another possibility is that you saved the modified file as a netCDF4, which the model does not seem able to use (at least that was the case not too long ago when I ran into it). You can check that with "ncdump -k".
I'm pretty sure that every point has PHIS = 0 and is a float but I'll double check. I do believe the file is being saved as a netCDF4 file though, but this seems to be consistent with the instructions I cited. Once Cheyenne is back up tonight I'll check these things, thanks.

drchessgremlin

Brandon N Benton
There are some issues with reading in custom topography in some of the recent versions of CESM2. I think if you download the latest release CESM2.2, you should find that this is fixed. Is that an option for you?
I considered this. I've been using CESM2.1.1 which I thought was the most recent version available on Cheyenne. Once Cheyenne is back up tonight I'll check this out. Thanks.

drchessgremlin

Brandon N Benton
So Cheyenne is back up and I see that 2.1.1 is the latest version in /glade/p/cesm/releases/. I'd prefer to use a version available as a prebuilt on Cheyenne. Is there a topo file in /glade/p/cesmdata/inputdata/atm/cam/topo/ that is known to work with FHS94? I've been trying to run with a 0.9x1.25 finite volume grid, which I know is unsupported but runs fine without topography, so I have used SGS-gtopo30_0.9x1.25_remap_c051027.nc. If there are alternatives that are known to run out of the box I could start there though.

drchessgremlin

Brandon N Benton
So I decided just to checkout 2.2.0 from the repo. It seems to be running fine. At very least it doesn't fail immediately. So thank you for the help!

islas

Great. Glad it's working. I think the issue is there in all CESM2.1 versions, but fixed in CESM2.2. I think it also works in CESM2.0, but I'm not 100% certain. Thanks for raising this issue - I have added a note on the webpage you pointed toward to advise user to use CESM2.2 instead.