Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

D Compset: What streams to use for DOCN?

zwolff@uci_edu

Code:
I am trying to run a D compset with NYF for testing purpouses and when trying to run it I run into an error where the <br />streams for the DOCN model are not set up and causes the model not to run. <br /><br />I want to use streams that will work best with the NYF and the default <br />b.e15.B1850G.f09_g16.pi_control.25.cice.r.0041-01-01-00000.nc cice initizlization file, <br />which streams would I want to set up?<br /><br />Thanks!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Zach,The D compset does not work out of the box because one needs to make the appropriate choice of slab ocean model forcing. Have a look at the FAQ here:https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/faq-data-ocean-slab-mode-docn-somDave 

zwolff@uci_edu

Hi Dave, I am having a bit of trouble viewing the FAQ. I did find a guide on how to create a user_docn.streams.txt.som file but when I run ./preview_namelists it doesn't seem to change in the run directory and the run still fails. Not sure what step of the work flow I am missing.  Zach 

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Ack! Not sure what happened to my FAQ. I'll have to talk to the people that maintain the bulletin board. What version of the model are you using? You should not need to edit the stream file. Just the variable DOCN_SOM_FILENAME in env_run.xml.Dave

zwolff@uci_edu

I am on CESM2 and that seems to have done the trick! I was following a guide I had found with some googling (https://esmci.github.io/cime/users_guide/cime-change-namelist.html) and it said to make a new streams file which I did but changing the xml file did it. I still am unsure if the stream I am using is approrpiate though, I am running on a T62_g17 grid and used the pop_frc.b.e15.B1850G.f09_g16.pi_control.28.160204.nc stream which seems to be the newest stream that most matched the D cases default inital ice conditon. The model did however run for a month without aborting when using that file.