Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

density of chemical components

Rgh

I am running a case with FWmadSD compset to include the D-region chemistry and in the atm.log file looking for N2,O2,O,H,He densities in cm^-3.
I found "N2-dens molecules/cm3", but for O2 and O I can see concentrations in mol/mol. I am not sure if I understand it correctly! Is this a mole fraction(moles of solute per total moles)? How can I convert it and get densities of these chemical components in cm^-3. What about H and He? I could not find them in the namelists.
Thank you for your help.

Truhaut W

Tr W
I have exactly the same question!!! I have run FXHIST compset which is also called WACCM-X. In its output, there are H, He and so on, but they all have the same unit mol/mol. And I want to get densities of these chemical components in cm^-3 too.

So is there anybody know how to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Truhaut W

Tr W
I did a long search on the Internet and the CESM forum. But I only found a way using pressure difference between levels to convert mole fraction to total column density with unit mol/cm^2, which was still not what I really want.

Truhaut W

Tr W
I'm thinking about that, is it a way to use the variable "Pressure at layer midpoints", whose abbreviation is "PMID" in WACCM-X result. Then utilizing equation of state of ideal gas PV=nRT to calculate total number density with unit mol/m^3 or simply 1/m^3. I'm not sure that is it correct or not? And one question is that the eqution is only true for ideal gas.