Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Differences cesm2.1.0 and 2.1.2

Hi everyone I hope you are doing well with the problem of coronavirus.
I have just finish a simulation of the present climate (1980-2015) with a BHIST compset and cesm2.1.0. It has been imposible to carry out that simulation with cesm2.1.1 and cesm2.1.2. I always have the same problem an Ice:Vertical Thermo error. The temperature blow out in some point near Greenland in winter, even following the recomendations given by Mike Mills and others (setting clubb_gamma_coef=0.30800001, dt_count=48 and changing the sentence "if (ferr > 1.1_dbl_kind*ferrmax) then" in ice_therm_vertical.F90 subroutine ). I appreciate very much if some one could give me some information about the differences between the models (only differ in the less significative number).

thank very much, take care

Agustin

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Agustin,

You can find a basic description of the differences between the model versions online here:

Also, a more detailed listing of everything that has been modified for each version can be found in the "ChangeLog" file, which should be present in the top-level directory of CESM when you download and/or clone it (although please note that the file is dependent on the specific version you are looking at).

Finally, the error you are running into is coming from the sea ice (CICE) model, so I will go ahead and move this thread over to the CICE forum, in case someone with more experience using that component knows how to solve your particular issue.

Hope that helps, and have a great day!

Jesse