Diffusion in CAM3 finite volume

I am running a version of CAM 3 adapted for Titan and I am unable to reproduce Titan's fast zonal jets (200m/s). I added an ad hoc acceleration to speed up the winds, then removed the artificial acceleration. The model quickly spun back down. I am using the finite volume scheme at 10x15 degree resolution. I have several runs at 4x5 degrees as well. They exhibit the same behavior but it takes longer to spin down.  I've disabled all of the vertical diffusion I could find in the model. This includes turbulence, gravity waves, and vertical diffusion. I have not found any added horizontal diffusion in the FV scheme. Is it just the numerical diffusion that is slowing down my winds or am I missing something?
 

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
Please could you contact Peter at: pel@ucar.eduHe needs more details to be able to answer.Thanks   
 
Back
Top