Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Effect of CO2 on C4 grass biomass and fires

James King

James King
Hi all,

I have done some runs with CLM5 in land-only mode and have a result I'm not sure how to explain. The runs are at 0.5deg resolution over a regional domain covering sub-Saharan Africa over the period 2015-2100. We have used SSP3 anomaly forcings and done runs with CO2 increase only, CO2 + climate, CO2 + climate + land use change, and CO2 + climate + land use change but with population density fixed at 2015 ('no pop'). One result is confusing - in southern Africa, the CO2 only run shows increasing C4 grass biomass (TOTVEGC) but decreasing C4 grass fire emissions (FireEmis_TOT). In all the other runs, both variables decrease. We were expecting fire emissions to increase if biomass increases when no other inputs are changed besides CO2 emissions. Is there some feedback here I am missing?

Thanks,

James

wwieder

Will Wieder
Hi James,

How are you handling N deposition in these experiments? C4 grasses in CLM5 are very sensitive to N availability. I wondered if the declines in TOTVEGC (and fire fluxes) that you're seeing mirror trends in N deposition in the region (either intentionally or by mistake).

James King

James King
Hi Will,

Thanks for the tip - we haven't looked at that possibility yet. I think we fix N deposition at 2015 levels in all runs apart from those where we change the land use - but I will need to double check this in my case directories when the current Cheyenne maintenance is completed.