Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

effects of ocean currents velocity on ICEPACK simulations

chenshzh12

Shengzhe Chen
Hi,

When I was trying to understand the effects of ocean currents velocity on ICEPACK simulations, I found myself in an awkward situation that no matter what values of uocn and vocn I give to icepack as the oceanic forcing, they seem to produce the same results of, for example, sea ice thickness. I then read the ICEPACK codes and try to understand the reason behind it and I found out that fbot = cpchr * deltaT * ustar; fbot = max (fbot, frzmlt), in which, ustar = sqrt (sqrt(strocnxT**2+strocnyT**2)/rhow); ustar = max (ustar,ustar_min); My problem is that from my understanding, different uocn and vocn should lead to different strocnxT and strocnyT. However, it seems to me that in the ICEPACK codes, the strocnxT and strocnyT are not calculated explicitly? Are they prescribed in the codes or did I missing something? Thank you very much for your help!

Best,
Shengzhe

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I believe you are correct that the ocean currents are not actually used in icepack. The ice-ocean stress fields are computed in the sea ice dynamics in CICE only.