Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error building FHIST case

gendy

Reda
Hi
We managed to build successfully the FHIST run on a pc but the limited computational resources caused the run to crash, So we attempted to port it on an HPC.
I have error building FHIST case on 72 core HPC, with gnu compilers and mpich, with the latest cesm2 version:
./create_newcase --compset FHIST --res f09_f09_mg17 --case ~/my_cesm_cases/FHIST_gnu_mpich --machine homebrew
I got this error
siac built in 1.278342 seconds
sesp built in 1.275576 seconds
swav built in 1.296645 seconds
docn built in 2.207968 seconds
mosart built in 6.813868 seconds
cice built in 20.210901 seconds
Error: BOZ literal constant at (1) is neither a data-stmt-constant nor an actual argument to INT, REAL, DBLE, or CMPLX intrinsic function [see ‘-fno-allow-invalid-boz’]

Error: Symbol ‘gen_hash_key_offset’ at (1) has no IMPLICIT type; did you mean ‘gen_hash_key’?

cam built in 26.193209 seconds
cism built in 57.125405 seconds
ERROR: BUILD FAIL: cam.buildlib failed, cat /home/lis/projects/scratch/FHIST_gnu_mpich/bld/atm.bldlog.210404-175638
please find the log file and the config files attached:
UP - Google Drive
So please help me find what went wrong

morpheus

Morphy Kuffour
Thank you for all your help @jedwards

I made significant progress in ./case.build process. I am now running into the following error:

Error: Symbol 'gen_hash_key_offset' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type; did you mean 'gen_hashkey'?

which was also reported here but here answered. The build is taking longer than usual because I think it's actually building the test case. Maybe a known supported test case that builds. This is the command I used to create the new case:

create_newcase --case ~/cases/case01 --compset B1850 --res f09_g16 --mach uconnhpc --run-unsupported

I have also attached the build log. This is a link to my config_machines.xml and other files defined in my ~/.cime folder.

Attachments

• lnd.bldlog.230227-215020.txt
    190.4 KB · Views: 3

zzheng

Zhonghua Zheng
I got the "./case.submit" error HERE by installing all the dependencies (including the "mpich") using spack.

However, if I install the dependencies from the source code, I get the following errors for "./case.build".
Code:
sglc built in 1.989349 seconds
srof built in 2.025841 seconds
slnd built in 2.028913 seconds
sesp built in 2.030730 seconds
sice built in 2.057503 seconds
swav built in 2.054662 seconds
docn built in 2.692745 seconds
Error: BOZ literal constant at (1) is neither a data-stmt-constant nor an actual argument to INT, REAL, DBLE, or CMPLX intrinsic function [see ‘-fno-allow-invalid-boz’]

Error: Symbol ‘gen_hash_key_offset’ at (1) has no IMPLICIT type; did you mean ‘gen_hash_key’?

Component atm build complete with 68 warnings
cam built in 9.169836 seconds
ERROR: BUILD FAIL: cam.buildlib failed, cat /home/zhonghua/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/bld/atm.bldlog.230729-212429

When use the cat command, below is the information:
Code:
Warning: Type mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2) (CHARACTER(16)/REAL(8)).
/home/zhonghua/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam/src/control/cam_history.F90:270:45:

270 |   integer, parameter :: gen_hash_key_offset = z'000053db'
/home/zhonghua/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam/src/control/cam_history.F90:5658:30:

5658 |     hash = gen_hash_key_offset
/home/zhonghua/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam/src/control/cam_history.F90:791:19:

791 |     call mpi_bcast(ndens, ptapes, mpi_integer, masterprocid, mpicom, ierr)
 1637 |     call mpi_bcast(logname, len(logname), mpi_character, masterprocid, mpicom, ierr)
Warning: Type mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2) (INTEGER(4)/CHARACTER(*)).
make: *** [/home/zhonghua/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/Tools/Makefile:888: cam_history.o] Error 1

ERROR: Command make complib -j 36 MODEL=cam COMPLIB=/home/zhonghua/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/bld/lib/libatm.a -f /home/zhonghua/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/Tools/Makefile MACFILE=/home/zhonghua/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/Macros.e-10uxx4b9fmw3 USER_CPPDEFS='    -DPLON=72 -DPLAT=46 -DPLEV=26 -DPCNST=3 -DPCOLS=16 -DPSUBCOLS=1 -DN_RAD_CNST=30 -DPTRM=1 -DPTRN=1 -DPTRK=1 -DSPMD -DHAVE_VPRINTF -DHAVE_TIMES -DHAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY -DHAVE_COMM_F2C -DHAVE_NANOTIME -DBIT64 -DHAVE_SLASHPROC' failed with rc=2

Any suggestions? Thanks!