Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: CO2 has exceeded the limit

anushree

Hi Mike,
I have given a hybrid simulation for the year 2095 with the F compset
SSP585_CAM60%WCTS_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
using the restarts from :
b.e21.BWSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5-WACCM.002

but i am getting an error in the cesm.log file-
Opened existing file
/home/cas/faculty/dilipganguly/cesm/inputdata/atm/waccm/geomag/igrf_ceofs_c160412.nc 7274496

nlte_fomichev_calc: CO2 has exceeded the limit: nstep,i,k,press(Pa),lon,lat,vco

nlte_fomichev_calc: CO2 has exceeded the limit: nstep,i,k,press(Pa),lon,lat,vco

2(vmr)= 0 1 27 95.59 296.25 -80.58 0.1024E-02

I have attached all the files required.Kindly help me out with this error.
i am unable to compress the cesm.log file which is 200mb.The max i could compress it was of 6mb.
Regards,
Anushree

Attachments

• atm.log.3123511.pbshpc.220615-081029.txt.zip
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • atm_in.txt
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • cism_in.txt
    558 bytes · Views: 0
  • docn_in.txt
    632 bytes · Views: 0
  • ice_in.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • lnd_in.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mosart_in.txt
    671 bytes · Views: 0

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is normal model behavior for conditions with greater than 720 ppmv of CO2. The solution is to put this in your user_nl_cam:

nlte_limit_co2 = .true.

If TRUE apply upper limit to CO2 concentrations passed to the Formichev non-LTE cooling calculation (code not intended for values greater than 720 ppmv). Running with flag set to TRUE could lead to incorrect cooling rates if model CO2 exceeds 720 ppmv. If FALSE simulation will abort if CO2 levels exceed this value at altitudes above 1 mbar. The 720 ppmv CO2 limiter in the Formichev non-LTE cooling scheme is applied to all vertical levels regardless of this setting. Default: FALSE

As described above, this will allow the model to run with CO2 levels limited to 720 ppmv in the Formichev non-LTE cooling calculation. We require this to be done so that users are aware that they are running at conditions beyond the limits of this Formichev non-LTE cooling calculation, and that cooling rates in the upper atmosphere may be incorrect.

This is set to true by default in compsets that normally have CO2 levels greater than 720 ppmv, such as BW1PCT, BWCO2x4, and many of the SSP compsets.