Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error in case.setup after transferring core hours to Derecho

jzweifel

jzweifel
Hi all,

I am trying to continue a basic control simulation as I have done before with my core hours on Cheyenne but am getting an error. When I try to run case.setup I am met with the following message:

ERROR: module command /glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/7.5.3/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod python purge failed with message:
/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/lmod/8.1.7/bin/lua: error while loading shared libraries: libhistory.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Does anyone have any input on what may be going wrong here and how to proceed? My advisor believes it may be from switching to Derecho but we are both unsure. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Let me make sure I understand the situation.

You setup a case on Cheyenne and it ran fine
You now want to redo the setup on Derecho for the same case and have it work?

If that's what's going on it's just not going to work. You really need to setup a new case just for Derecho.

Specifically it can't even get off the ground because it doesn't have the right paths to the modules for Derecho
by assuming the paths that worked on Cheyenne. Case's aren't exchangeable between machines. You can share
the output (and input), but not the cases themselves -- they are specific to the machine they were created for.

I had the same error when attempting to apply the CESM configuration used on Cheyenne to Derecho. However, after modifying the config_batch.xml, config_compilers.xml, and config_machines.xml, and specifying Derecho as the target machine while running the script create_newcase (using the --machine derecho flag), every case has worked well for me so far. I tested both cesm2_1_1 and cesm2_2_beta02 on Derecho.

CESM2_1_1 worked well without any further changes. For CESM2_2_beta02, I had to include the header #include <ctype.h> in cesm2_2_beta02/components/cism/source_cism/libglimmer/writestats.c, and I had to add an environmental variable SCRATCH in the shell to specify the scratch directory.